Thursday, May 30, 2013

Climb every mountain

-->

So o.k. I got side-tracked from blogging whilst I was living: returning from the mountains, gathering up mail from most rooms in the house, doing the wash, getting in groceries for the week, re-contacting friends whom I haven’t seen in six weeks, etc.  I actually wrote the following blog the day I returned!


First produced by Rogers and Hammerstein for the musical Sound of Music in 1959, many major singers have it in their repertoire, including Tony Bennett (Anthony Dominick Benedetto) upon whose birthday I had the privilege of being born, albeit a few years later.



Listening to Andy Williams on Spotify I actually heard the words:



"Climb every mountain,
Search high and low,
Follow every highway,
Every path you know.

Climb every mountain,
Ford every stream,
Follow every rainbow,
Till you find your dream.

A dream that will need
All the love you can give,
Every day of your life
For as long as you live."

...three more repeating refrains


Being in the mountains lends the words even more meaning: I am glad to say that so far I have managed to follow this creed – tromping on the paths and byways of the world, sometimes getting my feet wet instead of fording the stream, sometimes hitting the valleys instead of climbing the peaks. The “dream”?  I have yet to figure what it is, so maybe it's just to live a good life: to do no harm and add to society instead of detracting. Whatever, may I continue to have fun along the way.

Dents de Morcles

No comments:

Post a Comment