Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Triggered memories


Most of us have heard of the Pavlovian experiment whereby a dog was conditioned to salivate at the ringing of a bell. Any of us who studied French literature have heard of Proust’s madeleines (a type of cake cookie with an oblong shape), the smell of which evokes sweet memories of teatime, etc.  I am sure that there are many other combinations and the advertising world has also taken to flavoring or adding certain odors to areas of a shop to incite the consumer to buy: I fall almost every time for one of these – a grocery store that makes sure that their underground parking has the odors of fresh baking bread as you roll down your window to take the ticket!

There is also déjà vu whereby we think (or perhaps we actually are) that we are experiencing exactly the same thing from years ago yet again. These moments are very fleeting and I’d love to be able to hold onto some of them.

The other day I kind of experienced both at once.  My younger son “juices” and whilst making his first one of the day he offered to make me one as well.  I requested a slightly smaller portion than his and he came in with it in a normal water glass.

I was instantly transported to another country, another home and another lovely experience. Green juice last had at my friend’s home above Sonora, overlooking the forest: this one in my own home served by my son. Both drinks were delicious (and healthy); both experiences wonderful.



No comments:

Post a Comment