Saturday, June 20, 2015

Globalization or…


Chinese in the Swiss Alps!
 
So although my landlord’s birthday was a couple of weeks ago we hadn’t had time to celebrate properly, i.e. my inviting her to lunch, until I returned.
The choice was difficult and finally settled by flipping a coin: twice as the first time we couldn’t remember what the side that turned up represented (now, now, we are both sound of mind, just laughing and not thinking to concentrate!) so had to do it again. It turned out to be the new Chinese restaurant in Salvan.

A mix in styles and cultures

With Chinese I always have Jasmine tea

Now here is a great discovery: an excellent Chinese restaurant in the Swiss Alps! China House, Place Centrale 28 – 1922 Salvan 027 761 30 10 or 079 30 90 434. 11:30 to 14:30 and from 18:00. All day Saturday and Sunday. Take out or eat in.

The daily menu had a choice of two mains: either Pekin duck or spicy chicken. Both came with a salad first followed by a spring roll and all of it was delicious: the salad was one of the freshest that I have tasted in a restaurant, the spring roll was piping hot and freshly fried so I suspect that it was hand made and rolled as well and the mains again very hot (unusual for restaurant fare so perhaps I should enquire as to how they do it). 

To round off the meal I had an expresso and she a litchi fruit salad. From start to finish a most enjoyable meal: even the décor was an interesting mix of old pictures from the area and the odd more oriental scroll – it all worked together. Our waitress was of Chinese descent and called us “girls” and the men “boys” – she too added to the experience especially as her French was perfect (would love to hear her story someday as it is rather unusual to find someone of oriental descent so fluent in a foreign language and above all in an out-of-the-way spot like Salvan, VS).

I will return.

I was so engrossed in the food that I forgot to take the pictures!


main of spicy chicken


No comments:

Post a Comment