Sunday, February 14, 2016

364 + 1 days in a year or…


Happy Valentine’s Day.

I have always been a wee bit allergic to Valentine’s Day:
      as a child we had to make cards for everyone in the class so what was the point?
      As a teenager, I seemed to never get a card from anyone that I was currently interested in, if even vaguely and of course wouldn’t have dared send one to any of my crushes (hmmm… maybe it was the same for them?)
      As a young adult with no boyfriend, it was just another day
      As an engaged person – there was one before the wedding and I can’t say that I remember anything about it.
      As a married woman there were enough other important events – I mean Christmas wasn’t that far past, and after son number one we had just had his birthday; then there were all the upcoming birthdays – so that it didn’t get celebrated either unless we had ski holidays. That usually had me writing bad poetry (wonder if I will ever come across any of those – paper hoarder that I am).
      As a widow – well what interest would there be?

I have been fortunate enough in my life to have had friends and family who believed more in the Carpe Diem school of thought; presents or cards came any old time and even birthdays quite often got celebrated way later.

Love – and yes I know that Valentine’s Day is supposed to be only romantic love – can’t be confined to just one day and to celebrate it then and yet not be loving the rest of the 364 days of the year holds no interest for me. 

Also love comes in many shapes and forms and can no more be confined to just “romantic” love than water to just lakes and oceans: either one celebrates it in however small a way every day, or it simply doesn’t truly exist.

So Happy Let’s-all-be-in-love-with-each-other-and-Life Day. Let’s all be kind at least 364 days of the year: love will find a way and hearts come in all sizes, shapes and materials.

 
hand-made heart from Harmony, CA, USA

Swiss coffee cream cover

natural moss heart from a forest walk

No comments:

Post a Comment