Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Unexpected Joys


Sophocles was entirely right: there is no greater joy than that, which is unexpected.

My day was a panoply of such joys: a telephone call and long conversation with my oldest son – out of the blue; a letter, which at first I took as coming from a cousin in England turned out to be from my younger son – again totally unexpected; a massage, which if planned was so relaxing that it was better than normal; an e-card from a good friend celebrating with me the “nothing” of yesterday; coffee on short notice with yet another friend; lunch in a new place – again unexpected.

May today’s unexpected joys remind me that one has only to recognize the beauty of an unexpected call, letter, gift or happening to enjoy it.

A card and letter from India

No comments:

Post a Comment